Bring your SPF sunscreen and umbrella...it's beach season! For families looking for kid-friendly beaches, we've rounded up five of southern California's beaches that cater to families.
- Crystal Cove State Park in Laguna Beach: Located in Orange County, Crystal Cove boasts 3.2 miles of coastline, with tide pools and secret coves. The turf is kid-friendly, and allows for exploring, surfing, flying kites and more. If families want to stay overnight, they can opt for a restored 1930s-era beach cottage in a historic compound.
- Natural Bridges State Beach: Head to Santa Cruz, where kids can check out a stunning rock formation and look for monarch butterflies (more than 100,000 monarch butterflies are attracted here each year). The fine sand is perfect for children, and also for sandcastles!
- Arroyo Burro Beach: Also known as Hendry's beach, this kid-friendly beach in Santa Barbara offers safe swimming, fishing opportunities, and various trails to explore that highlight the importance of protecting California's beaches.
- Coronado Beach: The Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego may be famous for its association with Marilyn Monroe, but the property's beach is a great place for families to spend time together. The island community of Coronado is super laid back, and the soft sands of the beach make for an idyllic setting.
- La Jolla Beaches: Also found in San Diego, La Jolla is a multi-faceted seaside city that has something for everyone. The white-sand beaches are perfect for children, and La Jolla has plenty of marine life for little explorers. Check out the seals that live on The Cove and Bird Rock, right next to the heart of La Jolla. For more intense family adventures, try your hand at paddle boarding or kayaking.
This article is brought to you by: The Swimming Swan