WSI Student: Policies and Procedures
ARC WSI Certification Course
Student Policies & Procedures
- Participants must be at least 16 years of age on the first day of class.
- Complete Red Cross 8 Hours Online Learning and bring verification to first day of class.
- Pass Swim Test on first day of class:
- Proficiently swim 25 yards in all 6 Strokes
- Primary Strokes include: Freestyle, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly
- Secondary Strokes include: Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke
- No time limit
- Tread water for 1 minute only using your legs. Face must stay above the water during this exercise.
- Back float for 1 minute in deep water.
- Proficiently swim 25 yards in all 6 Strokes
What to Bring to Class:
- Completed Online Learning Certification
- Bathing suit and towel, no bikinis allowed.
- Pen or Pencil
- Paper for note taking
- Lunch or Lunch money (lunch break will be given for all-day classes)
- Light sweater for possible cooler weather
- Attend and participate in all class sessions and activities
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills
- Pass the final skills scenario
- Successfully pass the written final exam with an 80% or better
There are no refunds once the course has been registered for and payment has been received. This policy includes: students who do not pass their prerequisites or do not attend all classes for the entire duration of class, do not pass Red Cross required skills with proficiency or do not pass the written final with a minimum score of 80 percent.
Students can opt to transfer classes to another date. Class transfers are allowed a total of one time and transfer requests must be submitted on a Class Transfer Form at least 48 hours prior to the start date of their original class start date. All transfer classes must be completed within 6 months of the original class start date. All class transfer requests are $50.
The Swimming Swan LLC., reserves the right to cancel any classes at any time. If a class is cancelled, a full refund will be given OR students will be given the option to transfer classes to another date with no additional fees.
Only registered students are allowed on the pool deck and/or in the classroom during class. All visitors must wait outside in the parking lot OR leave the premises until class is over for the day.
- How old do I need to be to take the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification Class?
- 16 years of Age on the first day of class.
- To become a WSI Certified Swim Instructor, do I need to be a perfect swimmer?
- No, you must however swim all 6 strokes, 25 yards. These strokes include freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, elementary backstroke and side stroke. There is no time limit. You must also tread water for at least 1 minute in the deep end, head above water and only using your legs. A back float must also be performed for 1 minute in the deep end. We highly encourage that you practice these skills prior to the start of class.
- What if I cannot pass the swim test?
- Unfortunately, if you cannot pass the test, you are unable to continue to participate in the class. You can however complete a transfer request form and pay the $45 fee to schedule a future class.
- Can I attend one class in one certification class and then attend the second day’s class in another certification class offered at a different date?
- No, you may not break up the classes. All classes of your Certification Course must be completed during the time frame allotted for the class. This is normally over a weekend period.
- Do I have to complete the online training course before the first day of class?
- Yes, this is mandatory. You will not be permitted to attend the in-class session without bringing your online certification verification to class with you as proof.
- How long does the online portion of class take?
- The online blended learning portion of the course is 8 hours long. A printed copy verifying this portion is complete must be brought to the first day of class in order to participate in the in-class session.
- Is there a lunch break for the all-day training class?
- Yes, we provide a 1 Hour Lunch Break where you are free to leave and purchase lunch OR you can bring your lunch with you to class.
- How long does it take to receive my certification?
- Certificates are available within 72 hours of class completion.
- Where do I access my certification?
- By Logging into the Learning Center with the username and password you created when you began the Blended Learning online portion of your course.
- Click on; My Learning, My Transcripts, and then Print.
- For any help; call 1-800-Red-Cross