7 Water Exercises for Weight Loss
By: American Sports & Fitness Association ASFA
Anyone with a fitness certification knows that water exercises are a great way to get a low-impact workout that is easy on the joints. This is especially important for individuals who are trying to lose weight and may have discomfort around their joints. Water exercises can be a great way for people who want to lose weight, tone up and get fit.
- Walking in the pool is an easy exercise that anyone can do regardless of fitness level or age. The natural resistance from the water helps to burn additional calories and help tone muscles without over straining. People who need more stability can hold onto the sides of the pool for balance.
- Marching is another great option for those that struggle with walking. Be sure to get your knees up as high as you can to use the water resistance to your benefit. Being in the water takes the stress off the hips and knees and can allow greater range of motion than being out of the water.
- Walking lunges in the pool are perfect when functional training for weight loss. The lunges help strengthen the muscles around the knee and increase agility and stability. Being in the water helps you lunge deeper allowing you to be more efficient with the movement.
- Leg lifts are another functional muscle workout that you can do in the pool. You can face the wall and lift backwards to strengthen the glute muscles or lift to each side to strengthen the outer and inner thighs. Doing the movements slow and controlled adds greater resistance from the water giving you a full leg work-out without impact to the joints.
- Jumping Jacks in the water take this cardio move to a new level forcing you to engage your core muscles to stabilize and keep balance with each jump.
- Flutter Kicks can be performed using a kick board or by holding on to the edge of the pool. This move strengthens and tones the entire leg and works your core by holding the body in a plank like position.
- Scissor Kicks also get your heart rate up and tone your legs. You can do this by holding on to the edge or leaning against a step. With your feet floating in front of you, scissor kick your legs to tone up and burn calories.
Working out in the water can provide you with the best Functional Fitness program allowing you to tone up, burn calories, lose weight, and increase overall personal fitness. Any trainer that has completed their personal trainer course can help demonstrate or create a personalized water fitness plan to help you lose weight and meet your fitness goals.
For more information on our private at-home aqua fitness courses: see here.
This article is shared by: The Swimming Swan