Shallow Water Lifeguard Certification Course (5 to 7 feet)
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Please Read Completely
- Participants must be at least 15 years of age on the first day of class.
- Complete Red Cross 8 Hours
- Pass Swim Test on first day of class:
- 300 yard swim using front crawl or breaststroke
- 2 minute tread using legs only
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, head first or feet first, to a depth of 7 feet to retrieve a 10 lb. object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back and return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or step.
Required Online Course
Prior to the in-class session, all students must complete the Lifeguard Online Certification Course and bring in proof to verify the online portion is complete. Instructions on completing the online course will be emailed to you once you register for the course.
American Red Cross Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED Certification – valid for 2 years.
*This course is designed for participants that wish to lifeguard at aquatic facilities with a maximum water depth of 5 to 7 feet.
There are no refunds once you register and payment has been received. This policy includes students who do not pass their prerequisites or do not attend all classes for the entire duration of class, do not pass Red Cross required skills with proficiency or do not pass the written final with a minimum score of 80 percent.
If you do not pass the prerequisites, you are entitled to transfer the course to a later date. You must complete a transfer request form and pay the $45 fee to schedule a future class within 6 months of the original registration.