We're in the midst of summer, which means there's no better time to plan a weekend getaway. This week, we're choosing to spotlight Lake Tahoe, which is known for its beauty and its family friendly activities. We've listed a few below.
- Kayak from North Lake Tahoe: Head to the Hyatt at North Lake Tahoe and rent a kayak for a few hours or for half the day. From the Hyatt's beach, kayak to the east side of the lake to Secret Cove, a small secluded beach that's surrounded by boulders and clear water.
- Tour the Hellman-Ehrman Mansion: This mansion, from 1903, gives viewers a peek into the life of the rich on Lake Tahoe. The tour of the mansion's rooms plus the servant areas lasts less than an hour, so it's perfect for families.
- Take a gondola ride in South Lake Tahoe: For an unbelievable view of Lake Tahoe, take a ride on The Heavenly Mountain Gondola, a 2.4 mile ride up. A ride for a family of 4 is $150.
- Bike Along the Truckee River: For more active families, rent a bike (or bring your own) and bike for miles along the Truckee River on Highway 89. A bike rental shop at Why 89 and Squaw Valley Road offers bikes for both adults and kids.
- Walk along Squaw Valley Meadow Trail: Expansive green fields and blue skies await on this walk in the center of Squaw Valley. The hike/walking path is super quiet and is especially beautiful in the early evening.
- Relax at King's Beach State Recreation Area: This area is ideal for families. The long stretch of sandy beach is perfect for young kids, and kayak and paddle board rentals create a fun atmosphere. You can also take advantage of shared picnic tables, a playground for kids, and restaurants within walking distance.
This article is brought to you by: The Swimming Swan